[bookshare-discuss] optacon replacements? Re: Re: Better Scans?

  • From: Leedy Diane Bomar <ldbomar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 19:53:08 -0600

The P2RD is not a replacement for the Optacon. The optacon's main advantage
was that it used the human brain as its OCR engine. The P2RD is merely a
portable scanner/OCR package. Though our scanners and current and always
improving OCR packages are great, nothing can replace the human brain for
text recognition. I keep an Optacon between to my scanner and computer
keyboard. I scan in lots of recipe books, and could not edit them
effectively without my Optacon. Context doesn't help when trying to
determine what fraction of a teaspoon or cup is called for. Cookbooks and
other technical manuals have to be exact.

BTW, the optimization scan is truly the best thing to be developed for
K1000. I absolutely love it!!

Diane Bomar