[bookshare-discuss] long books and daisu audio format

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:39:55 -0400

I want to copy here, an email that I wrote about this issue on another list
because I've been told that there are some Bookshare support people on this
list. My issue is that Bookshare books that are more than approximately 350
megabytes, don't play in daisy audio format on my first generation Victor
Reader Stream.  The stream will say, "please wait" several times, but then
the book will play in plain daisy format with Samantha, the Stream's
synthetic voice. I can't understand Samantha well enough to listen to her
reading a book. The latest book that I tried is 745 megabytes and the stream
wouldn't play it at all. The stream was actually disrupted by it. Someone
tried the book on the NLS DTBM and it did play in daisy audio on that
device. The following was my response to various suggestions that people
made as to how I could alter the structure of the book so that it would play
on the stream.

I don't understand why the technicians at Benetech can't communicate with
Humanware and figure out a way to fix the problem so that the long books
will play in daisy audio format on the first generation stream. I say this
for the following reasons.

When I bought my stream, I bought it with the expectation that I would be
able to use it and would receive support for it, regardless of what other
products Humanware chose to develop. Humanware should be responsible for the
stream. I shouldn't have to buy a new, more expensive product with
capabilities in which I'm not interested, just because it's on the market.
Benetech has developed this really great daisy audio format which we should
be able to play on all of the devices that have been developed for blind
people to play books. If the format isn't working properly on one of the
devices because of the size of the book, it should be the responsibility of
the people who developed the format to figure out why.
As a blind person, my interest is in reading books. I've learned how to
download them and how to use the devices I own. But it shouldn't be my
responsibility to play around with the structure of the book in order for it
to play. Some people are really interested in technology and they enjoy
doing that kind of thing. I just want to read books.

Miriam