[bookshare-discuss] Re: bookshare wish list

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 18:03:30 -0500

Great list, Rick.

I'll add something else I especially love. The only thing that decides what books get into the collection is the resources available to get books scanned and proofread.

No one decides for me what books "should be" available to the disabled. While books for educational purposes for students come first in terms of what the staff has to do, because of the grant money, volunteers can scan and proofread any title they want, and any member can add books they want to read that aren't in the collection to the wishlist for others to scan.

Also, I'll echo Rick's third point heartily: Bookshare produces the most specialized books that are simply not available anywhere else. Many of these books are quite expensive to boot, so even public libraries struggle to afford any of them.

Judy s.

On 9/5/2012 4:39 PM, Rick Roderick wrote:
I agree with you for four reasons.

1.  When members talk, Bookshare listens.  They do their best to give us the
books we want.

2.  When I hear a radio broadcast about a book, guess who usually has it
first.

3.  They produce the most specialized books that are simply not available
anywhere else.

4.  The staggering number of books.  I don't think either NLS or Learning
Ally can match it.