[bookshare-discuss] Re: Where Are the NY Times Bestsellers?

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@sero.email>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 07:20:50 -0500

Hi all,

This is why when discussing accessibility of web pages that the logical arrangement of a page is so important. A page may be accessible, all links labeled, have the right contrasting colors and so on, but it can still be inaccessible if it is not arranged logically.

I understand that one of Bookshare's major percentage of users are k-12 kids. this is fine, and is probably the reason why all these kids' books awards are listed before the NY Times. If I were arranging the Browse page, I would do it something like this.

First I would have one to five headings at level one which talked about major categories for browsing. : Browse By Author, Browse by Category, most popular, and at the top, New books. Finally, I'd have Book Awards. Under Book Awards, I'd put NY Times first, then Newbury, Then Nebula and whatever other awards for genre writing. Under that I'd have a heading called Education Award where I'd put Jane Adams and National Education Awards. This arrangement makes logical sense, and can be navigated easily. As it is, the whole Browse page is inaccessible; not because of physical reasons, but because of logical arrangement.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."
 Put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the Subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.