[bookshare-discuss] We The People Bookshelf

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 20:37:15 -0700 (PDT)

Our local school recently received a We The People Bookshelf Grant, where we
were awarded a set of books from the We The People Bookshelf. There are 17
books, and Bookshare only has six of them!

  Bookshare still needs:
  The Ugly Duckling ? Hans Christen Anderson
  The Gettysburg Address ? Abraham Lincoln
  Give Me Liberty! The Story of the Declaration of Independence ? Russell
Freedman
  Many Thousand Gone: African Americans from Slavery to Freedom ? Virginia
Hamilton
  Saturnalia ? Paul Fleishman
  Abraham Lincoln the Writer: A Treasury of His Greatest Speeches and Letters ?
Harold Holzer
  Breaking Through ? Francisco Jiminez
  Abigail Adams: Witness to a Revolution ? Natalie S. Bober
  That All People May Be One People, Send Rain to Wash the Face of the Earth ?
Nez Perce Chief Joseph
  Lincoln?s Virtues: An Ethical Biography ? William Lee Miller
  Amistad ? David Pesci

  Here is the article from our school newsletter:

  Shepherd K-12 libraries are proud to announce that we have received a gift
awarded through the We the People Bookshelf national grant project. Our
libraries were among only 3,000 libraries across the country selected to
receive a We the People Bookshelf grant, which provided free hardcover editions
of 17 classic books on the theme of ?Created Equal,? Spanish translations of
four of the titles and supporting materials to participating libraries. The
grant was awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities in cooperation
with the American Library Association.
  The We the People Bookshelf on ?Created Equal? contains the following books:
  ? Grades K-3: ?The Ugly Duckling? by Hans Christian Anderson, ?The Gettysburg
Address? by Abraham Lincoln, and ?Pink and Say? by Patricia Polacco.
  ? Grades 4-6: ?Elijah of Buxton? by Christopher Paul Curtis, ?Give Me
Liberty! The Story of the Declaration of Independence? by Russell Freedman,
?Lincoln: A Photobiography? By Russell Freedman, ?Many Thousand Gone: African
Americans from Slavery to Freedom? by Virginia Hamilton, and ?Lyddie? by
Katherine Paterson.
  ? Grades 7-8: ?Saturnalia? by Paul Fleishman, ?Freedom Walkers: The Story of
the Montgomery Bus Boycott? by Russell Freedman, ?Abraham Lincoln the Writer: A
Treasury of His Greatest Speeches and Letters? edited by Harold Holzer, and
?Breaking Through? by Francisco Jiménez.
  ? Grades 9-12: ?Abigail Adams: Witness to a Revolution? by Natalie S. Bober,
?That All People May Be One People, Send Rain to Wash the Face of the Earth? by
Nez Perce Chief Joseph, ?Flowers for Algernon? by Daniel Keyes, ?Lincoln?s
Virtues: An Ethical Biography? by William Lee Miller, & ?Amistad: A Novel? by
David Pesci.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - Sunflower Forest - Torey Hayden
I'm an eBay affiliate, click here before you bid!
Click here for eBay!