[bookshare-discuss] Re: Way To Go, Scott!

  • From: "Geoff Stephens" <GeoffsLists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 22:30:48 -0500

Updating the Web interface is trivial compared to the changes to the back
end necessary for such things as book conversions, etc.  Still, the uI for
the service has needed ongoing enhancement which really hasn't been
addressed.  this is really the easiest part of the process.

Do a book search and the results aren't organized in any logical manner that
makes navigation with a screen reader the least bit intuitive.  I'm not
going to bother to try to get into all the specifics about what needs to be
done to the site here.  it would take some time.  It is disappointing that
sites designed specifically for use by blind people don't implement the very
features we complain about every day with regard to many mainstream sites.

I don't know what I would do without it, but I shudder when I think about
all the duplication of effort of scanning content that is new enough that it
never gained the distinction of being typed or hand written.  I applaud the
publisher quality effort and hope we can eventually completely eliminate the
need to scan books.