[bookshare-discuss] The House Of Sixty Fathers

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Discuss <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 14:52:54 -0400

I just saw that The House of Sixty Fathers, by Meindert DeJong, is on the new books list. While this book is listed as being for children, I think it is great for adults too. The writing is excellent, and the story is fascinating. I grew up in a small town in the midwest, and I only saw Oriental people on TV. I read this for the first time when I was 12, and it helped me understand a part of the world that seems strange and utterly foreign to me. Reading it as an adult, it helped me gain some perspective on the traditions and history of Asian families. Both times, this book opened my heart and helped me see Asian people as having real lives with hopes and dreams that are as real as my own. Now I can see beyond the TV stereotypes and look for real people behind the headlines. I hope some of you will make time to read The House of Sixty Fathers. If you do, I'd love to hear what you think about the book.

--
Monica Willyard
Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/plumlipstick