[bookshare-discuss] Re: Scanning tips for Kurzweil1000

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:28:16 -0700

Hi Ann,

Here is the document that is supposed to be in the scanning and proofreading
manual about how to get the best scans using Kurzweil 1000. This article was
written before version 12 of Kurzweil was released, so all settings apply to
version 11, and may or may not exist in version 12.

I'm pasting the article below my signature.

Mayrie

Scanning a Book Using Kurzweil 1000 Version 11

The settings that I use in Kurzweil 1000 version 11.03 for preparing a book
for submission to bookshare are those that I have found to be the most
accurate.  Though there are many options for differing settings, especially
scanning settings, these are the ones that give the best results in my
experience having worked on well over 500 books.

The processes that I describe for preparing the book for submission are
those that are most helpful for a proofreader, again in my experience with
well over 500 books proofread.

Scanner settings are as follows:
Scan and recognize, automatic page orientation, gray-scale data, resolution
at 300 DPI.
Recognition settings:
Collumn identification disabled, two pages recognized per scan, speckle
removal disabled, Text quality is normal, partial collumns kept, suspicious
regions kept, blank pages kept, recognition engine is FineReader 8.0,
English will be recognized.
Reading settings:
Line endings will be ignored by the editor and tables will not be
identified.
I do not identify tables in straight fiction because junk sometimes scans as
a table and is more of a pain to remove that way, more time consuming.  I
have to know when I'll need table recognition so I can enable it. If you
have a book containing tables, you're best advised to know that before
beginning to scan.
Conversion settings:
This set of settings is not available in versions earlier than version 11.
In this dialogue the only deviation from the defaults is to disable "split
long pages" wherever this option is available.
General settings: Raise the confidence level to 98.5. The default of 95.0
leaves too many errors to correct.

Save the file as a kes file under the name of the book, saving immediately
after that as rtf. Always keep a current copy of both file types using the
rtf as a backup for the kes file, as Kurzweil sometimes gets corrupted kes
files, and you don't want to have to rescan your book. Always remember to
save  to rtf as bookshare requires its submissions to be in rtf format once
you have done all clean-up.

Clean up preliminary pages and confirm accurate page count:
Label: [From The Back Cover] [From The Front Flap] [From The Back Flap][This
Page is blank.] if any blank pages exist. Read through all preliminary pages
and correct all scannos.
Determine where the publisher thought page one should go and set an
opperator defined page number there as page 1.
Check that the last page in the book is numbered properly, telling you that
you do not have any missing or duplicated pages. If the numbers don't match,
either rescan and insert pages that you missed, or delete duplicated pages.
It is helpful to proofreaders if you insert missing page numbers if they
have not scanned at all or are unclear.

Once you have done these things, you're ready to submit your book.