[bookshare-discuss] Romance Book Club Summary

  • From: "Silvara" <silvara@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:04:46 -0400

Romance Book Club meeting

The Romance Book Club held its monthly meeting on May 16, 2008. We were so
pleased to welcome new people to our group as well as to visit with our usual
participants. I shall not mention everyone’s name here at the risk of leaving
someone out – wouldn’t want anyone’s feelings to be hurt if they were
accidentally omitted.

Unfortunately, our recording for this month is incomplete, due to technical
difficulty. We are sorry we were not able to present a complete one!

For May, our reading choice was Angels Fall by Nora Roberts. Susan began the
meeting by presenting a few facts about the author.

Nora Roberts, (Eleanor Marie Robertson,) writer of fantasy, suspense and
romance novels, was born October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland. She is a
bestselling American author of more than 150 romance novels. She was the first
author to be inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame. She
writes the "In Death" series as J.D. Robb and has written other works under the
pseudonyms Sarah Hardesty and Jill March.

She often (but not always) writes trilogies because she says she can develop
her characters more fully when she writes three books. Over 280 million copies
of her books are in print, including 12 million copies sold in 2005 alone. Her
novels have been published in 35 countries.

Nora attended Catholic school until her sophomore year which she believed gave
her the discipline to write novels. She began her writing career when she and
her two young sons were trapped indoors because of a severe blizzard. Roberts
met her husband, Bruce, a carpenter, when she hired him to build her
bookshelves. They were married in July 1985. They own and operate a bookstore
in Boonsboro, Maryland called Turn the Page Books. To learn more about Nora
Roberts, visit her website at noraroberts.com.

A great deal of the meeting was spent discussing who the killer was in Angels
Fall. We discussed who our favorite characters were and some of us were
disappointed at the language used by Nora Roberts in this novel.

Book Recommendations for May

Grace and Susan, at the suggestion of Jill O’connell, recommended two short
novels by Rosamunde Pilcher.

1. Snow in April

Synopsis:

Unsure of her impending marriage, Caroline Cliburn travels to Scotland with her
younger brother Jody in tow to rethink her feelings and investigate their older
brother's disappearance. She wrecks her car during an unexpected snowstorm;
uninjured from the accident, Caroline and Jody walk to the nearest home, the
estate of Oliver Cairney, a wealthy London businessman who is in town taking
care of his deceased brother's affairs. Oliver graciously asks the two to spend
the night, and it is obvious from the start that he has eyes for Caroline. When
a neighbor thwarts any romance between the two by informing Caroline that
Oliver is practically engaged, she and Jody leave without even saying goodbye.
Love always finds a way, and Caroline's sudden illness throws the would-be
lovers together once more. This book is available from Bookshare as well as
NLS, as RC 48485.

2. Wild Mountain Thyme

Synopsis:

Victoria Bradshaw falls in love with a successful but offensive playwright,
Oliver Dobbs, who pops in and out of her life. Now, years later, a widower, he
stands on her doorstep with his two-year-old son. And, Victoria is foolish
enough to want to take him back and agrees to vacation in the Scottish
highlands with them. This book is available both from Bookshare and from NLS,
as RC 13814.

May’s reading will be Snow in April. The group decided that to some, the length
of a book mattered, particularly when someone attended more than one book club.
Grace suggested we would try to keep romance novels within 400 pages or less.
Mention was made to possibly read the Outlanders series, by Diana Gabaldon –
the group agreed though those books are very good, they are much too lengthy
for a book club to tackle.

Suggestions for Future Reading:

Jude Deveraux's Legend, Knight and Shining Armor and Remembrance.

Books by Karen Marie Moning

Circular Trilogy by Nora Roberts

As Bob asked about Debbie Macomber books, Lynn and Susan shared with us the
following cassettes and WebBraille books by Debbie Macomber are available from
the Bismark Dakota Talking Book Library as well as from NLS in WebBraille and
from Bookshare.

Author:  Debbie Macomber:

Title:  Dakota Born
Published:  Bismarck: North Dakota State Library, Talking
Book Services, 2004.
Book Number:  Nd-TB (ND 00345 WebBraille from NLS, Br 12925)
Book One in the series.

Title:  Dakota Home
Published:  Bismarck: North Dakota State Library, Talking
Book Services, 2004.
Book Number:  Nd-TB (ND 00346 WebBraille from NLS, BR 12926)
Book two in the series.

(Also available from Bookshare.)

Title:  Always Dakota
Published:  Bismarck: North Dakota State Library, Talking
Book Services.
Book Number:  Nd-TB (ND 00347 WebBraille from NLS BR 13666)
Book three in the series.

(Also available from Bookshare.)

Title:  Buffalo Valley
Published:  Bismarck : North Dakota State Library, Talking
Book Services, 2005.
Book Number:  Nd-TB (ND 00348 WebBraille from NLS, Br 13348.)
Book four and final book in the series.

Currently being validated for Bookshare.) Thanks for your assistance Lynn.

We thought about reading some sort of a time travel romance in July – that
selection has not been chosen yet.

As always, we welcome and appreciate your recommendations. IF anyone’s
suggestion was left out of this summary I apologize as I had to piece this one
together (from memory, which is not always as good as it used to be) the best I
could, minus a complete recording!

Until you join us again next month, happy reading and we hope you enjoy Snow in
April.

The next meeting will be on June 20.

The Romance Book Club Team

Grace Pires, Email

silvara@xxxxxxx

Susan Lumpkin, Email

slumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

*****
Grace

Please sponsor me in the march for independence, Walk for Opportunity   in
Dallas Texas. Any amount will help, no matter how small.
Proceeds benefit the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan institute.
http://nfb.convio.net/site/TR/Events/General?px=1095161&pg=personal&fr_id=1040