[bookshare-discuss] OT: ecard fraud info

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 21:04:12 -0700 (PDT)

I just sent an e-birthday card to my daughter and
found that Hallmark is changing its procedure somewhat
to protect against people getting viruses. Before I
used to be able to put either Mom or my first name to
in the From place but now they want full name. They
posted this warning notice which I thought I'd pass
on, partly to remind people of the impostures going on
and partly to let you know of a safe and free (they
have non-free cards, too) e-card site.

Here's the warning that I copied:

E-Card Fraud Threat

Hallmark is taking extra precautions to make sure your
recipient knows who is sending an e-card from our Web
site.

A fraudulent e-mail flooding the Internet claims to
have a link to an E-Card from a "family member,"
"friend," "neighbor," or a first name (i.e., Tom, Sue,
etc.) and uses major greeting card company names such
as Hallmark. Clicking on the link downloads a virus
onto your computer that compromises personal data.

By including your full name in the e-mail with e-card
pick-up instructions, your recipient will know that
the e-card has been sent by you through Hallmark and
the link is safe to click.