[bookshare-discuss] Re: OT: Guido and CSUN

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:13:32 -0800 (PST)

CSUN is California State University, Northridge. They
have an annual Technology and Persons with Disability
conference. Here is a paragraph I copied from a
National Center for Technology Innovation site
http://tinyurl.com/ctxgfs

"For 23 years the Center on Disabilities, through the
International Conference on Assistive Technology and
Persons with Disabilities, has provided an inclusive
setting for researchers, practitioners, exhibitors,
end users, speakers and other participants to share
knowledge and best practices in the field of assistive
technology. In 2008, the conference drew more than
4,500 people to Los Angeles, including 360
international participants. Known as a forum that
showcases cutting edge technology and practical
solutions that can be utilized to remove the barriers
that prevent the full participation of persons with
disabilities in educational, workplace and social
settings, the conference is the largest of its kind in
the world." It's held at a couple of hotels near the
airport and bookshare, or perhaps one shold say
benetec.org, has a booth. I think last year Jim
Fruchterman was the keynote speaker.

It sounds like a lot of fun, as well as
informative--at least to hear Pratik and Guido and
others talk. I live about 20 minutes from where it's
held and so I've gone a couple of times for coffee or
lunch and met a few of our members, and I plan to go
one day this time.

Oddly enough, even though it's always in March and on
occasion the weather the preceding weeks have been
cold, the last few times the week of the conference
has been very warm; there is a swimming pool at the
hotel.

HTH

Cindy

(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?redir