[bookshare-discuss] Next Meeting of the Science Fiction Club, Thursday, October 13, 2011

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <scifi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 21:05:09 -0400

Hello Folks,

Another good discussion at the meeting last night, with most people enjoying
our book, Eifelheim by Michael Flynn.

Our next meeting will be on Thursday, October 13, 2011.

Place: Book Nook at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

Time: 9 PM Eastern, 8 PM Central, 7 PM Mountain, and 6 PM Pacific.

This month, we're going to do two books. Both of them together are shorter than
our last book, Eifelheim, and we also have an extra week to read them. We'll be
reading a duology from Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle: Inferno, and Escape
from Hell. Inferno is available from both Bookshare and BARD, while Escape from
Hell is only available on BARD.

The link to Bookshare's copy of Inferno is at:

http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/34158

The link to the BARD edition of Inferno is at:

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.69479

Here's the NLS synopsis of Inferno:

While attending a science fiction convention, writer Allen Carpentier falls
from a hotel window and awakens in a Dante-esque Hell. To escape he must
traverse various layers of the underworld where, guided by Benito Mussolini,
Allen encounters all manner of sinners including dictators, criminals, and
bureaucrats.

The link to the BARD edition of Escape from Hell is at:

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.69480

And here's the NLS synopsis:

Science fiction writer Allen Carpenter returns to the nine circles of Dante's
Hell to liberate tortured souls. Accompanied by poet-suicide Sylvia Plath,
Allen treks through an underworld full of notorious figures--including Pontius
Pilate and J. Robert Oppenheimer--on a quest for salvation.

Perhaps we should have waited until next month to do these, it being Halloween
and all, but nobody thought of it last night, so we're gonna read them this
month. Hope lots of you can join us for what is sure to be a lively discussion
of these books.

Evan