[bookshare-discuss] Re: New Books (21) for June 3

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 06:58:34 -0500

I totally agree, this is marvelous.

I originally contacted John because I was soooo impressed with the fact that the books were ordered by reading level--adult-fiction, adult-nonfiction ... . I thought he was doing it somehow with the bookshare search facility, and I wanted to know how it was done.

I contacted John for the basics of how he developed his list, which started a discussion back and forth (you know how programmers are: always talking tech talk). Finally, I went whining to John something like: "I'm sure you couldn't, but it sure would be nice, but I'm sure it's just a pipe dream, put the link to the book information page in your list, could you?" By then I had started a list of things that would be nice but were impossible, I called it our hydrogen fusion list, and John suggested that this should go there. Then Darrell Shandreau (damn, I know I didn't spell that right Darrel, sorry) came on this list with the same idea, and John went off muttering about damn blind people, waved his magic wand, and here's the list complete with links.

Oh, lest I forget, John's not even a member of bookshare and doesn't get anything out of his efforts except the pride in a job well done--and he should take pride in this list. I think it's fantastic.

Bob
----- Original Message ----- From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
#32), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
Claudia grows suspicious when she hears Rebecca's grandmother
burned all her artworks before she died. She sets out to discover
the truth.
BOOK SIZE: 159 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84399/

CLAUDIA AND THE FIRST THANKSGIVING (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #91),
BY
ANN M. MARTIN
All seven Baby-sitters resolve their separate family crises
to share an unforgettable Thanksgiving feast.
BOOK SIZE: 139 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84383/

CLAUDIA'S BIG PARTY (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #123), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
Claudia loves the weather and her friends. When she organizes
a party to bring her pals together, she brings about more problems
than she solves.
BOOK SIZE: 154 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84429/

CLAUDIA MAKES UP HER MIND (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #113), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
November is filled with excitement, surprises, and difficult
choices for Claudia, Queen of the seventh grade... and no one
can make her choices for her.
BOOK SIZE: 137 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84409/

CLAUDIA AND CRAZY PEACHES (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #78), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
Claudia's sure that life with Peaches around will be nonstop
fun. At first, it is. But then one of Peaches' crazy adventures
gets Claudia in trouble.
BOOK SIZE: 141 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84388/

DON'T GIVE UP, MALLORY (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #108), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
Mallory is excited about her new class on children's literature,
but she loses her enthusiasm when her teacher doesn't pay attention
to her.
BOOK SIZE: 163 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84408/

I WAS A SIXTH-GRADE ZOMBIE (GHOSTS OF FEAR STREET #29), BY
R. L. STINE
AND
NINA KIRIKI HOFFMAN
Every kid in Valerie Martin's class has joined a mysterious
after-school club, but they can't remember a thing about it.
Val begins to investigate and when she uncovers the truth, she
may be the next to lose her mind.
BOOK SIZE: 122 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Horror, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84036/

JESSI'S GOLD MEDAL (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #55), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
The Baby-Sitters expect Jessi and her partner to win the synchronized
swimming competition, but Jessi's not so sure.
BOOK SIZE: 140 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Sports, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84401/

KRISTY AND THE DIRTY DIAPERS (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #89), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
A diaper company is sponsoring Kristy's team, but the kids aren't
sure they want to wear uniforms that say Davis Diapers. With
Dawn in California, the baby-sitters are shorthanded, until thirteen-year-old
twins show up, and the BSC gets a new member.
BOOK SIZE: 149 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84423/

KRISTY'S MYSTERY ADMIRER (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #38), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
Someone is sending anonymous love letters to Kristy. Is it a
practical joke or do the letters mean something more?
BOOK SIZE: 151 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Romance, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84407/

KRISTY FOR PRESIDENT (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #53), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
Unhappy with a lot of things at Stoneybrook Middle School, Kristy
thinks it's time someone made some changes -- and she decides
she's going to be that person.
BOOK SIZE: 150 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84390/

MAID MARY ANNE (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #66), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
Mary Anne agrees to do some housework for Mrs. Towne, an elderly
neighbor who had been giving her sewing lessons, but Mary Anne
soon realizes that she has become a maid.
BOOK SIZE: 158 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84403/

MALLORY ON STRIKE (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #47), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
Mallory has an important writing project to do and needs some
quiet time. No one will leave her alone! What's a stressed-out
big sister to do? Go on strike!
BOOK SIZE: 161 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84424/

MARY ANNE AND MISS PRISS (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #73), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
Jenny Prezzioso, a fussy little girl who won't do anything that
might make her dirty is driving Mary Anne and the baby-sitters
crazy ... until they discover it's because she wants to be a
model just like her baby sister.
BOOK SIZE: 144 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84374/

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS, KRISTY! (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #107), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
Kristie and her brother get along well until Angelica steps
in and the Krusher Klinic is suddenly in jeopardy.
BOOK SIZE: 143 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84406/

STACEY'S LIE (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #76), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
Stacey's vacation is full of mishaps when she tells one little
lie which leads another and yet another.
BOOK SIZE: 165 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84440/

STACEY THE MATH WHIZ (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #105), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
When Stacey is asked to join the math team, she is afraid that
she will get stage fright. The whole school depends on her to
do what she can to win.
BOOK SIZE: 147 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84386/

STACEY AND THE CHEERLEADERS (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #70), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
Stacey starts dating Robert, a cute basketball player, and decides
to try out for the cheer-leading squad. But if she makes the
team, will she and her boyfriend be too cool for the Baby-sitters
Club?
BOOK SIZE: 141 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Romance, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84376/

THE FIRE AT MARY ANNE'S HOUSE (BABY-SITTERS CLUB #131), BY
ANN M. MARTIN
Mary Anne and her family survive a raging fire that completely
tears down their beloved old farmhouse.
BOOK SIZE: 139 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84373/

About the New Book List:
All books on the list are rated Excellent unless otherwise specified. NIMAC books are excluded from the list.