[bookshare-discuss] Re: New Books (109) for June 4

  • From: "Melissa Green" <graduate56@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 14:08:24 -0600

I agree.
John, thanks for doing this even though you aren't a member of bookshare.

Melissa Green
The most splendid achievement of all is the constant striving to surpass yourself and to be worthy of your own approval.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Darrell Shandrow" <darrell.shandrow@xxxxxxxxx>
#128), BY
CAROLYN KEENE
On a winter vacation in Wisconsin, Nancy and her friends stay
in a 200-year-old castle where there is the rumor of a hidden
treasure.
BOOK SIZE: 150 Pages
CATEGORIES: Teens, Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thrillers
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/67228/

WHAT ZOEY SAW (MAKING OUT, BOOK 6), BY
K. A. APPLEGATE
What Zoey sees shatters her faith in her parents. She's misunderstood
when she turns to Jake who understands the tragedy and she questions
if she can trust Lucas who is moving too fast. To Aisha's horror
Christopher gets a gun to go after the racists who beat him up.
BOOK SIZE: 197 Pages
CATEGORIES: Romance, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/83622/

A SAILOR RETURNS, BY
THEODORE TAYLOR
When 11-year-old Evan Bryant receives a letter from his grandfather,
everything changes for his family. Tom Pentreath is an old sailor
who abandoned Evan's mother when she was just three years old.
BOOK SIZE: 160 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85129/

BLACK STAR, BRIGHT DAWN, BY
SCOTT O'DELL
Bright Dawn must face the challenge of the Iditarod dog sled
race alone when her father is injured.
BOOK SIZE: 134 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85140/

BRIAN'S HUNT, BY
GARY PAULSEN
Brian returns to the woods and lakes of Canada. After surviving
a plane crash with only a hatchet to protect and provide for
himself, he's now well prepared to survive. But can anything
prepare him for what awaits him on an island where he aims at
meeting his Cree friends?
BOOK SIZE: 104 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85142/

BRIAN'S RETURN, BY
GARY PAULSEN
After having survived alone in the wilderness, Brian finds that
he can no longer live in the city but must return to the place
where he really belongs.
BOOK SIZE: 118 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85144/

CALL FOR COURAGE (GOLDEN FILLY #5), BY
LAURAINE SNELLING
After her history-making Kentucky Derby win, Trish believes
she can go on to win the triple crown of thoroughbred racing
but untold adversity and near tragedy may stop her progress.
BOOK SIZE: 159 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Animals, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85147/

CLASS ACT (HIGH HURDLES #10) , BY
LAURAINE SNELLING
With the support of her family and friends, DJ undertakes the
long and difficult process of recovery from the serious burns
she received while saving horses from a deadly fire, but she
is afraid she may never ride again.
BOOK SIZE: 161 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Animals, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85153/

COACH AMOS, BY
GARY PAULSEN
Asked to train a local t-ball team, Dunc and Amos must come
up against players who know nothing of the game, a menacing local
gangster, and overanxious family supporters.
BOOK SIZE: 80 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85156/

DETECTIVE CAMP (A TO Z MYSTERIES SUPER EDITION #1), BY
RON ROY
Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are back! This time, they're off to
a camp for detectives! The camp directors have set up a week
of lessons in forensics and fun mysteries for the campers to
solve.
BOOK SIZE: 134 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thrillers
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85387/

DJ'S CHALLENGE (HIGH HURDLES #2), BY
LAURAINE SNELLING
A new job for her mother and a possible move to another city
threaten to part DJ from her horse.
BOOK SIZE: 145 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Animals, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85200/

EAGLE'S WINGS (GOLDEN FILLY #2), BY
LAURAINE SNELLING
Because her father is ill, without telling her parents, horse-loving
Trish earns money after school at the race track, where trouble
begins when one of her mounts is in a mysterious accident.
BOOK SIZE: 158 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Animals, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85217/

GRIZZLY, BY
GARY PAULSEN
Life at the Montana sheep ranch is good for Justin. Then a bear
begins threatening the livestock, injuring Justin's Radar, and
killing his pet lamb, Blue. Justin sets out to hunt down the
bear. Things become perilous when Justin confronts the bear.
BOOK SIZE: 76 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Animals, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85614/

HARRIS AND ME, BY
GARY PAULSEN
Sent to live with relatives on their farm because of his unhappy
home life, an eleven-year-old city boy meets his distant cousin
Harris and is given an introduction to a whole new world.
BOOK SIZE: 157 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85261/

HELP! I'M TRAPPED IN MY GYM TEACHER'S BODY, BY
TODD STRASSER
After an accident causes Jake Sherman to switch bodies with
the gym teacher, he discovers that being a muscle-bound hunk
is not all that great. It's lonely living in an apartment full
of vitamins and vegetables and it takes more than muscles to
stop a bully. RL5 ages 9-12
BOOK SIZE: 139 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Science Fiction
and Fantasy
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84829/

ICE DRIFT, BY
THEODORE TAYLOR
In 1863, two young Inuits, fourteen-year-old Alika and his younger
brother Sulu, must fend for themselves during the six months
they are stranded on an ice floe that is adrift in the Greenland
Strait.
BOOK SIZE: 207 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85298/

MOLLY MCGINTY HAS A REALLY GOOD DAY, BY
GARY PAULSEN
When supremely organized seventh-grader Molly McGinty loses
the notebook she relies on to keep her life in order, she spends
the day in chaos.
BOOK SIZE: 106 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85345/

MRS. YONKERS IS BONKERS! (MY WEIRD SCHOOL #18), BY
DAN GUTMAN
Mrs. Yonkers, the computer teacher, is the nerdiest teacher
in the history of the world. She can type with her feet! She
buys foam cheese heads off eBay! She even puts a Webcam on a
turtle! Is she trying to take over the world?
BOOK SIZE: 101 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85700/

MR. CHICKEE'S FUNNY MONEY, BY
CHRISTOPHER PAUL CURTIS
Mr. Chickee, the genial blind man in the neighborhood, gives
9-year-old Steven a mysterious bill with 15 zeros on it and the
image of a familiar but startling face. Could it be a quadrillion
dollar bill? Could it be real?
BOOK SIZE: 152 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Science Fiction
and Fantasy
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85403/

MR. CHICKEE'S MESSY MISSION, BY
CHRISTOPHER PAUL CURTIS
Flint Future Detective Club members Steve Carter and his friends
Russell and Richelle follow Russell's dog, Rodney Rodent, into
a mural to chase a demonic-looking gnome, only to find the mysterious
Mr. Chickee on the other side.
BOOK SIZE: 232 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Science Fiction
and Fantasy
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85404/

POPCORN DAYS AND BUTTERMILK NIGHTS, BY
GARY PAULSEN
Carley would rather be anywhere than in this poverty-ridden
Minnesota farm town. But staying with his Uncle David's family
is better than reform school, where she was headed.
BOOK SIZE: 106 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85418/

PRINCE AMOS, BY
GARY PAULSEN
On a weekend in Washington, Dunc and Amos confront Amos's double,
Prince Gustav of Muldavia, who asks Amos to change places with
him so as to unearth a turncoat.
BOOK SIZE: 80 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85420/

RAISING THE BAR (HIGH HURDLES #9), BY
LAURAINE SNELLING
While rescuing Herndon and other horses from a burning barn,
fifteen-year-old DJ suffers serious injuries but also finds that
God has answered her prayer to overcome a life-long fear of fire.
BOOK SIZE: 146 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Animals, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85425/

RETURN TO SENDER, BY
JULIA ALVAREZ
After his family hires migrant Mexican workers to help save
their Vermont farm from foreclosure, eleven-year-old Tyler befriends
the oldest daughter. But when he discovers they may not be in
the country legally, he realizes that real friendship knows no
borders.
BOOK SIZE: 332 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85429/

THE BALD BANDIT (A TO Z MYSTERIES), BY
RON ROY
The Green Lawn Savings Bank has been robbed! When a private
detective comes to Dink's door looking for the kid who videotaped
the crime, Dink and his friends volunteer to find him. After
all, there's a reward! But tracking down one red-headed kid isn't
so easy, especially if he doesn't want to be found. Can the trio
find that kid--and his tape--before the bandit does?
BOOK SIZE: 80 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thrillers
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85388/

THE BOY WHO COULD FLY WITHOUT A MOTOR, BY
THEODORE TAYLOR
In 1935, living at a lighthouse near San Francisco, a lonely
nine-year-old boy inadvertently summons a magician who teaches
him the secret of flying.
BOOK SIZE: 155 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Science Fiction
and Fantasy
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85708/

THE CANARY CAPER (A TO Z MYSTERIES), BY
RON ROY
C is for Canary...Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose get an urgent call
from Mrs. Davis. Her canary is missing! The little bird has vanished
without a trace, and he's not the only one. Two other pets are
missing.
BOOK SIZE: 90 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thrillers
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85389/

THE DREADFUL REVENGE OF ERNEST GALLEN, BY
JAMES LINCOLN COLLIER
When Eugene starts hearing a voice inside his head telling him
to do awful things, it leads him to look into his small town's
past before the Depression, and to discover long-hidden secrets
about his neighbors and his town.
BOOK SIZE: 232 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Horror, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85589/

THE EMPTY ENVELOPE (A TO Z MYSTERIES), BY
RON ROY
E is for Envelope... Dink keeps getting envelopes in the mail
addressed to "D. Duncan." But the letters inside all start with
"Dear Doris" and don't make any sense! Josh and Ruth Rose think
someone's playing a trick on Dink.
BOOK SIZE: 96 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thrillers
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85686/

THE EVERAFTER WAR (THE SISTERS GRIMM BOOK #7), BY
MICHAEL BUCKLEY
Sabrina and Daphne's prayers are finally answered when their
parents finally wake up from their sleeping spell. Their happy
reunion is short-lived, as they are caught in the middle of a
war and shocking secrets are revealed.
BOOK SIZE: 308 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Science Fiction
and Fantasy
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85690/

THE FALCON'S FEATHERS (A TO Z MYSTERIES), BY
RON ROY
F is for Falcon...When Josh discovers a nest of young falcons
in the forest, he, Dink, and Ruth Rose start visiting every day.
Until the morning they find it empty! Then the kids discover
a wounded falcon with its wing feathers clipped, and they know
someone's up to no good. Can they figure out what's going on
before it's too late to save the falcons?
BOOK SIZE: 89 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thrillers
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85390/

THE INVISIBLE ISLAND (A TO Z MYSTERIES), BY
RON ROY
While picnicking on Squaw Island, Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose
find a hundred dollar bill, and when they return to explore further
they find an entire cave full of money.
BOOK SIZE: 90 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thrillers
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85392/

THE LATCHKEY MYSTERY, BY
MARGARET GOFF CLARK
Minda, one of several latchkey children in her neighborhood,
forms a group to look for a intruder who is breaking into empty
houses.
BOOK SIZE: 128 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thrillers
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85600/

THE LEGEND OF RED HORSE CAVERN, BY
GARY PAULSEN
Armed bandits are after them. A headless Indian haunts them.
There's danger around each dark turn for Will "Little Bear" Tucker
and his friend Sarah when they lose their way in the labyrinthine
caverns of the Sacramento Mountains.
BOOK SIZE: 72 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Mystery and Thrillers
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85601/

THE LUCKY LOTTERY (A TO Z MYSTERIES), BY
RON ROY
L is for Lucky. . . .  And that's just how Lucky O'Leary feels
when the lottery ticket his grandfather sends him for Christmas
turns out to be a million-dollar winner! But before Lucky can
cash it in, someone sneaks into his house and steals it.
BOOK SIZE: 90 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thrillers
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85687/

THE MIND READER (FEAR STREET #26), BY
R. L. STINE
A teenager's strange visions lead her to a secret grave in the
Fear Street woods -- and on a terrifying hunt for a killer. A
bony hand beckons from a shallow grave, but only Ellie can see
the skeletal hand.
BOOK SIZE: 151 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Horror, Teens, Literature and Fiction
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/84556/

THE ORANGE OUTLAW (A TO Z MYSTERIES), BY
RON ROY
O is for Orange. . . .  An art thief is on the loose! Dink,
Josh, and Ruth Rose are visiting Dink's Uncle Warren in New York
City when several paintings are stolen from his apartment building.
BOOK SIZE: 84 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thrillers
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85688/

THE PANDA PUZZLE (A TO Z MYSTERIES), BY
RON ROY
P is for Panda. . . .  There's pandemonium in Green Lawn! The
town is building a new park for a panda and her baby. But as
soon as the pandas arrive, the baby is stolen! All the panda-nappers
want in return is a million dollars. . . .
BOOK SIZE: 90 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thrillers
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85689/

THE SEVENTH CRYSTAL, BY
GARY PAULSEN
Enjoying the computer game that arrived mysteriously, Chris
Masters plays compulsively and finally becomes conscious that
the world of the game is real.
BOOK SIZE: 94 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Science Fiction and Fantasy
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85615/

THE VAMPIRE'S VACATION (A TO Z MYSTERIES), BY
RON ROY
V is for Vampire . . . Grab your garlic, Green Lawn! When Dink,
Josh, and Ruth Rose follow a pale, dark-haired stranger into
Ellie's Diner, he vanishes! But Ellie has a cut on her neck ...
or could it be a bite?
BOOK SIZE: 88 Pages
CATEGORIES: Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thrillers
More info: http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/85391/