[bookshare-discuss] Re: Musings On Availability of Accessible Books

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 07:33:10 -0700

Bookshare Colleagues,

Those who recognize the subject line of this post might recall that I am
resurrecting it from a month ago. At that time posters in the thread were
evaluating Booshare's ability to grow its collection in response to members'
interests. The consensus was that we do pretty well even when sometimes those
interests are rather specialized.

Since that discussion a  dozen Series Captains have "reported for duty" to
complete more than 65 series. Hopefully that means a few more people will be
pleased with our ability to meet their reading preferences. Other initiatives
were quietly trigged by that thread as well.

Today I have been given permission to announce to you that our newest publisher
partner is the 100 year old CABI Publishing. This may immediately mean
something to you if your interest is ecology, agriculture, entomology, or food
security since CABI is a not-for-profit science-based development and
information organization. It may also mean something to you if your interest is
something like the genetics of color in breeding horses since CABI publishes A
T Bowling's classic, "Horse Genetics."

http://bookshop.cabi.org/?page=2633&pid=1223&site=191

It will still be many weeks before CABI's books flow into the Bookshare
collection but I wanted to keep you in the loop and encourage you to keep
letting us know the sorts of things you would like to see in the collection.

Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow, Bookshare Volunteer Department