[bookshare-discuss] Re: List of Books Recently Added?

  • From: "Elfqueen" <elfqueen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 23:38:36 -0400

I, too, identify with the candy store feeling every time I go to bookshare--except this is way way better than any candy store I've ever been in! *smile* I still remember when the realization hit me for the first time: Oh my, this is amazing, I can read almost anything I want! Hundreds and hundreds of beautiful books, every day! It was amazing to go to that from only NLS (though that is a good resource), ordering books on tape and having to wait a week or two, or printing out the entire thirteen-vmassive-volume Lord of the Rings in Braille, sitting by our ancient versapoint embosser that my mom bought when she began homeschooling me in the fourth grade (listening to it print is the one sure way I know of asking for a headache that's sure to stick around awhile), and then binding every single one of them by hand. Think of that, and then of our wonderful bookshare. *smile* ----- Original Message ----- From: "Allison Hilliker" <hillikera@xxxxxxxxx>

From: "Elfqueen" <elfqueen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 19:19:45 -0400
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] call to all writers

To anyone who is passionate enough about writing to want to
improve yours every chance you get (and I know there are some, because
I've listened with longing to some of the writers' practice meeting
archives): Have you ever noticed that there are a ton of amazing books
for writers out there, and a minute percentage--if any--make it into some
accessible format? I'm not talking about the generic "do this and that
and don't forget to cross your t's and dot your i's" books, I'm talking
about the ones that really help and encourage one to broaden and deepen,
or give prompts that force you to be exploratory and beat the walls of
your box to shreds. I've looked everywhere I can reach for these, and so
far haven't gotten anything out of searching. I can't scan books yet
myself because the only scanner in my house is about twelve years old and ceased to function properly about seven years ago--poor old thing, it was
retired and is now languishing in some unknown place haunted by the fell
shadows of dust bunnies--but I know of some good titles of these books. I
thought of just jumping the gun, but thought that I'd see if anyone else
is interested besides myself, or if I'm just fanatical. (And if I am,
that's totally okay with me and I might just go ahead and try my luck
anyway for kicks. *grins*)
Blessings,
Nicole