[bookshare-discuss] Good writing makes good literature

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:09:59 -0700 (PDT)

That's one of the wonderful things about Maya
Angelou's autobiographies. I'm about to start the
sixth and last one (all are in the collection, along
with some of her other writings). They are so
well-written and interesting that they read like
novels--and they're relatively short. You feel as if
you're living her life with her, and that you're
actually in some locales, like Ghana in All God's
Children Need Traveling Shoes. Not all of her life is
pleasant, but it's not so terrible that one gets
terribly upset, because of the way the incidents are
related. There are good times and loves and sad times
and break-ups, and the way she recounts her feelings
and her relationships with her son and family, one can
identify.

Cindy