[bookshare-discuss] Re: Fw: Your book has been marked for more editing

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 10:41:35 -0700

Hi, Traci, I guess you are one of the deranged perfectionists. I guess being
particular is part of the job. You're in a very ticklish position because
you're doing stuff that is out of the common run of things according to some
folks. I think there is education needed in interpreting (let alone
understanding) the language of the books, particularly if there is a use of
words spelled in a particular way, idioms, expressions, etc. The folks who
are unfamiliar with what you're doing are no doubt bewildered. And of course
the computer won't know from Adam about those spellings, expressions, etc.
It'll gather the spelling is wrong rather than a deliberate attempt by the
author to represent the speech and dialog habits of the characters. This
whole spelling thing can get really dicey because there are two schools of
thought on this: according to one school, use regular spelling all the time
but use selective representation of words which indicate a dialect. (Some
people find spelling all dialog in dialect very distracting and it might be
considered disrespectful if the spelling is used to put down or disrespect
the speakers who may not use "standard" English.) Another school apparently
doesn't see anything wrong in recording or making up spelling for people who
don't talk in the "prestige" language or dialect. Write now I'm proofreading
a book where some of the dialog is written in a dialect reflecting the
speech of certain people from Liverpool or that of Yorkshire. I am
unfamiliar with current urban fiction (for the obvious reason that I haven't
read any) so have no idea how people speak currently. Yes, Traci, I am out
of step and am not up on the current slang, idiomatic expressions, etc. I
want you to know I sympathize with you and applaud your efforts to bring new
fiction or non-fiction to Bookshare. Regards, Kim.

  _____