[bookshare-discuss] Fw: Celia's take on last evening

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 13:25:16 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Nan Hawthorne
To: Bob Acosta
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:28 AM
Subject: Celia's take on last evening

This is wonderful.. how about we use it as our summary?

"The Gathering" - the first book of my "Adelsverein Trilogy" was the
book to read during February for Accessible World's
<http://www.accessibleworld.org/> historical novel book-club. Nan
Hawthorne has organized a whole schedule of historical novels for the
members to read, thru-out the year, and their regular monthly on-line
meeting was last night.

"I had a wonderful time - once the problem with my computer mic was
sorted out, for everyone had read the book and had very searching
questions and decided opinions about the various characters - this is
meat and drink to a writer, for readers to have so gotten into a book to
see the various characters and situations as real. I spent some time
explaining that I did not make up some of the incredible bits and
characters, like Prince Solms-Braunfels, (who really existed and was an
idiot!) and the peace treaty with the southern Comanche tribes which
was completely real and everything about the expedition to meet with
their leaders and negotiate a peace was taken from contemporary
accounts.

"I'd encourage anyone else who wants to make their books accessible to
the vision-impaired and to participate in this program to consider doing
so. It's one more way to put your books in front of readers - and what
is more, readers who are lively, engaged and interested!

"Celia Hayes
Author, "The Adelsverein Trilogy""
--

Happy reading!

Nan Hawthorne     hawthorne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Author of "An Involuntary King: A Tale of Anglo Saxon England" -- available now!
www.nanhawthorne.com

"The author's sound ear for dialog. Indeed, talk bubbles throughout this book,
talk of high state affairs, the outpourings of the heart, and the joking
prattle of old friends, and all of it works a kind of magic on the reader.
Lawrence and Josephine's world is one in which that reader will want to linger,
and by the end of the book, many of its characters will feel like old friends."
 Historical Novels Review Online