[bookshare-discuss] Re: FW: McGill-Queens University Press in Canada Has Signed Our Agreement

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 00:07:02 -0400

I almost agreed with you that I wish Bookshare had been around when I was in school. However, when I was in school I would not have qualified even if it had been around. I was a completely sighted student and I had to rely on libraries for sighted people. It is interesting to note, though, that as a sighted student I did not have access to any library as large as Bookshare. I am not sure what was the nearest library to me that would have been comparable in size to Bookshare and the few that were would have been only a few in the world, but I am pretty confident that the Library of Congress in Washington would have beat it, so that was probably the nearest one. I did not have access to the Library of Congress though. I wonder if the Carnegie Library comes close. Even if it does Bookshare will not be long in making it look pretty puny as fast as it is growing. I once read that the average public library has about forty thousand volumes. If that is the case then Bookshare is now about four times as large as the average public library.
On 7/9/2012 11:28 PM, Dianne B. Phelps wrote:

And Book Share does it again! Smile! I am so proud of Book Share and wish it had been around when I was in school. I am making up for being deprived then by reading constantly now, everything from novels to instructional material.

Thanks for all you do to give us this access.

Dianne B. Phelps,

Napa, California