[bookshare-discuss] English teachers was On Criticism.

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:29:26 -0700 (PDT)

My 8th-grade English teacher made us memorize certain phrases from Shakespeare
and other poets, like Pope. Was I surprised to learn that "Something's rotten
in the state ofDenmark" came from Hamlet (maybe that phrase  isn't said as
often as it was in my day). Or that Fools rush where where angels fear to tread
came from Pope.  Or "as the twig is bent the tree's inclined" (something like
that" came from Pope Or that  the quality of mercy is not strained came from
Shakespeare.

She also made us memorize the prologue to the Canterbury Tales in the original
language. Thus when I was a freshman in college and we started discussing the
Canterbury Tales and the instructor had us open our books and asked if anyone
could read the prologue, I looked at it and it tripped lightly from my lips.
grin

list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List: