[bookshare-discuss] Re: Checking on a Book I Submitted

  • From: "Kyrath. (AKA Rob)" <kyrath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:13:51 -0400

Hi Jana,

I wouldn't recommend this method of converting .ark files into .rtf.  There
is a bug in this process.  However, I don't know if it applies to all
versions of OpenBook.
The problem is that the last character of each page gets chopped off.  That
means that if the last character was a punctuation mark, like a period or
quotation mark, the sentence will still be readable, but grammatically
incorrect.  However, if the page ends with a word, the last character will
be missing and the spell checker will find a number of incomplete words.
So if you compare the original .ark file to the converted .rtf file, you
will see that the last character in the .rtf file is actually the second to
last character in the .ark file.
In any event, the best method appears to be the use of the launch or export
method, depending on what version of OpenBook being used.

I've seen a few near perfect scans, except for the last character on page
issue.  So if the submitter had used one of the alternative methods for
converting the file, there would have been quite a few less incomplete
words.  Obviously, the more pages a book has, the greater the total of
incomplete words.

Just something for OpenBook users to keep in mind.
=====
-- Rob