[bookshare-discuss] Bookshare's Perspective On Its Lists

  • From: "Pavi Mehta" <pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:29:19 -0800

Hi All,

The subject of the need for a moderator on the Bookshare lists has come up at
various points in the past, and again this last week.  After discussion with
staff, I'd like to share our perspective on the matter and a system for moving
forward.

In our view, what the list needs is not an eagle-eyed moderator combing through
every line of every post, but simply defined objectives for the list, a clear
set of guidelines for list users, and a system to report and address violation
of those guidelines when necessary.

List Objectives: Bookshare's primary objective in running these lists is to
provide members and volunteers with a common platform to exchange ideas,
questions and answers primarily relating to their work and experiences with
Bookshare. In our view the lists are useful in as much as they facilitate
sharing, foster cooperation and good-will, and promote lively, amicable
discussion among its member and volunteer communities.

Guidelines for List Users: When engaging in a debate or choosing to disagree
with another member or volunteer, please be mindful of people's feelings. All
posts whether on or off topic are expected to maintain the spirit of friendly
cooperation, courtesy and mutual respect. Those folks unable or unwilling to
follow these guidelines will be required by Bookshare to leave the list.

Reporting an Issue:  If a person on the list feels that another list user is
abusing this platform with posts of an unduly negative and/or offensive nature
we ask that they write in their complaint off-list to volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I or another administrator will review the complaint and if deemed appropriate
will write to the individual in question with an initial warning. If posts of
the same nature persist they will be required to leave the list. We have not
taken this sort of action in the past, but are happy to do so here on for the
well-being of the lists.

My own exposure to the list has led me to a real appreciation of how much each
one of you has to share.  Collectively you have taken this platform and helped
create a unique and deep-rooted sense of community among Bookshare's members
and volunteers. We hope the objectives and guidelines put forward in this mail
will help put a stop to posts that have a detrimental effect on that sense of
community. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions about any of
the above.

Warm regards,

Pavi Mehta

Volunteer Coordinator, Bookshare