[bookshare-discuss] Re: Books About Deafness?

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <kellhart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 00:23:54 -0500

Hi Kolby,

I would recommend the book Shelley mentioned by Luanne Walker. The author is
the hearing daughter of deaf parents. She describes the frustrations that
her family had to deal with as well as how they coped and remained a close
and loving family. The book is very balanced--the author portrays her
parents realistically. Their deafness does not make them either pitiable or
heroic--they are people like everyone else. I really enjoyed reading this
book.
Kellie