[bookshare-discuss] Book submitted: The King's Monster

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:26:20 -0400

Hi everyone, another of Carolyn Haywoods picture books. I think, at least from my perspective we have all of them, but perhaps not, I wish I could get a complete list of her books. Ah well. This should be a really easy proof.

Enjoy.

 ISBN:
 0-688-22214-5

 Title:
 The King's Monster

 Author(s):
 Carolyn Haywood, Victor G. Ambrus (Illustrator)

 Publisher:
 HarperCollins Publishers

 Copyright Date:
 1980

 Copyrighted By:
 Carolyn Haywood

 Brief Synopsis:
Only one man in the kingdom is willing to face the king's monster for the hand of the princess.

 Long Synopsis:
A beloved author and distinguished artist join to offer a cheerful fairy tale of true love and courage rewarded. Their story describes the long reign of fear created by a king's monster and how it is finally brought to an end. The king just laughs whenever his subjects complain about the dreadful and dangerous beast. But when his beautiful daughter, Gabriella, is sixteen and the palace is besieged with her suitors, the situation grows more serious. Then he announces that only a man who can overcome the monster can win his daughter's hand. None of the suitors are brave enough, except for Prince Michael, Gabriella's childhood sweetheart. Together they descend to the deepest dungeon, and together they find that facing their fears is the best way to deal with them. The richly colored pictures in jewel tones are a feast for the eye, and the lighthearted text is roguishly irreverent yet still satisfyingly traditional, creating a confection that will bring delight at each new reading.

 Comments:
page numbers were not present in the print edition. Blank pages are illustrations. All text is present as far as I can determine. Has been read through. If you have questions please contact me at: juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx

 Adult content:
 No

 Language:
 English US

 Book Quality:
 EXCELLENT

 Categories:
 Children's Books, Literature and Fiction, Science Fiction and Fantasy

Shelley L. Rhodes, VRT
and Ludden Black Labrador Guide Dog

The ultimate sense of security will be when we come to recognize that we are all part of one human race. Our primary allegiance is to the human race and not to one particular color or border. -Mohamed ElBaradei, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (b. 1942)