[bookshare-discuss] Book submitted:: Chelsea The Story of a Signal dog

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:56:49 -0500

Book submitted an easy valiadation.
under the .rtf section of the website.

I read this one, because i wanted to, smile, and fixed errors as I went.
however, it does need a spell check as some of the words got seperated by a
space.  like pas senger, mess age, in form ation and the like.  My
Braillenote spell check isn't advanced enough to know they needed to fit
together.  So if i missed any a spell check with Word should find them.
Besides that all is good with the book all page numbers and pages accounted
for and junk removed.
Chelsea: The Story of a Signal Dog
By Paul Ogden

From the Book Jacket:
Chelsea: The Story of a Signal Dog is the heartwarming, humorous,
inspirational love story of a young deaf couple and the beautiful Belgian
sheepdog who acts as their "ears" When Paul and Anne Ogden felt they needed
a better link to the hearing world, they turned to Canine Companions for
independence, a unique organization that trains dogs to help deaf and
disabled persons live more successfully and creatively with their special
needs. It was at a CCI training center, in a two-week session so tough it's
called boot camp, that the Ogdens were matched with Chelsea, a professional
signal dog trained to respond to a wide repertoire of hand signals. For Paul
Ogden and Chelsea it was love at first sight, and the story of these two
weeks at CCI is in part the story of the extraordinary bonding that takes
place between a person and a dog who will always be at each other's side.
Ogden also introduces us to the dogs' dedicated trainers and reveals the
fascinating selection process for professional dogs. Through him we meet
other students in the program, discovering how a professional dog becomes an
effective, working companion.
Once the Ogdens return home with Chelsea, the story unfolds in lively
detail. Life in a deaf family with an "almost human" dog seems to be a
constant series of adventures and misadventures, and as Chelsea matures into
a proud professional, readers will be utterly captivated by her charm. In
addition to being a heartfelt animal story, the book shows us life in the
deaf world and demonstrates the important contribution that Chelsea and
other working dogs like her make when they open up communication between the
hearing and the nonhearing. From amusing stories of misunderstandings that
occur, such as when people mistake Chelsea for a Seeing Eye dog and insist
on helping Paul cross the street, to his description of the beauty of sign
language and how it works, Ogden vividly and insightfully educates as he
entertains. Poignant, touching, and joyful, Chelsea reveals deeper truths
about the way we communicate or fail to communicate with one another, while
conveying the spirit of triumph that once again proves that dogs are man's .
(and woman's) best friend. Chelsea is a love story guaranteed to delight.
Paul W. Ogden, professor of deaf education at California State University at
Fresno, is the coauthor of The Silent Garden: Understanding the
Hearing-Impaired Child. He lives with his wife, Anne Keegan Ogden, R.N., and
their signal dog, Chelsea. When Paul is not teaching, writing, or
beachcombing, he is collecting stories from deaf people for an anthology.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com