[bookshare-discuss] Re: Book released

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 08:04:42 -0400

Hi all,

Sue, interesting message, but not sure exactly what you mean here. Can you clarify? Do you mean that the book told a true story that is so horrendous you can't read it? Or that the story, although fictionalized , is too close to you for comfort?

No, my friend, I'm not criticizing, I'm just asking for clarification. You have, I believe, every right to release a book if you cannot read it for any reason. That includes any kind of emotional or intellectual trouble. Hey, I released a book about a month ago that I just couldn't read. I found it insipid in the extreme and it was also strongly biased toward proselytizing Christianity. I don't mind reading apologetics, but not in a mystery story, thank you! C.S. Lewis, for example, wrote Christian apologetics, but you were never, ever hit over the head with a 2-by-4, (hmmm, not sure how to write that), while the author chanted "have you been saved? Have you been saved?" No, no, no, couldn't stand it, so I released it.

I'm just curious as to what would affect you in such a way. Write me privately if you like. I just figured that I'd write this on the list to let others know that I, for one, figure that a validator is entitled to release a book for whatever reason. After all, we're volunteers, and if we've lost "the will" to validate a given book, then releasing it seems the best course.

Ann P.