[bookshare-discuss] 2 Christmas books finished off to be scanned list. Dig in Everyone!

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:50:42 -0500

Dear Grand Cindy,

You can remove Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf and Kissing Christmas Goodbye from the to being scanned list as I've uploaded both.

Sammy Keyes is such an involving series, amusing, suspenseful and touching. She's 12 years old and lives secretly with her grandmother in a senior high rise where both of them will be kicked out if it's discovered that Sammy lives there. Though middle school kids will love these books, I'm betting many adults will find them pleasant, satisfying reading. One page Sammy has me laughing and the next I'm sniffling. There are many characters you'll be glad or irritated to see again as they appear in book after book. One woman loves her dog more than her daughter, a cop can't decide whether to arrest Sammy or thank her, a homeless girl finds a family with two energetic dog groomers, one mom can't cook and another is off in Hollywood starring as the Gas Woman in commercials for digestive medication, and a woman wearing gypsy clothing, and soleless sandals tries to teach Sammy to play pool. Merry Christmasses aren't things a girl like Sammy can take for granted, so we pull for her to prevail all the more.

Agatha Raisin, the heroine of Kissing Christmas Goodbye is one of those people we either love or hate. She's got a sharp tongue. She can dish it out, but she can't take it. A slight reduces her to tears. She's trying to dodge the onset of old age with layers of make-up and stylish clothes. She desperately wants to be passionately in love. Instead, as Christmas approaches, she's investigating the death of a mean woman whose 4 children had many reasons to want her dead. Since her detective business is prospering, Agatha takes on a new employee, a quick learning teenage girl whose brother batters her. Agatha generously helps the pretty, young girl but has to fight off jealousy when her protege attracts more male and press attention than Agatha can. As she continues to investigate, more deaths around the unhappy family occur and Agatha is also busy preparing for a perfect Christmas party. Even though she's never known a white Christmas, she even believes this year it could snow just in time for her party and that her gadabout lover will turn up and kiss her under the mistletoe. Though this is a cozy mystery, the characters are quite complex and the plot turns and resolutions aren't as simple as you'd expect.

Mayrie's taken on The second book called Christmas Ghost the Horse Christmas book and, A Nancy Drew Notebooks Christmas story and the Christmas mystery by Barbara D'Omato.

Due to the economy, money for Christmas presents might be scarce this year, but there'll be an abundance of Christmas reading at Bookshare thanks to this united effort by some determined volunteers. I'm very grateful to be among them.

Always with love,