[bookport] more about cd drive problem

  • From: "Missy Hoppe" <melissah@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blind Cool Tech" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Book Port" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 06:04:20 -0400

Hello, all. The plot thickens. Following up to my message from yesterday,
It seems that I have somehow managed to get windows media player to rip
files again, but I'm not sure if I can get the quality low enough to be
useful for ripping audio books into mp3 format. Even though I know
perfectly well that it should be doing so with no problem, my computer
simply won't read any of the media player 10.0 dialogue boxes. That's a
problem for another day, though, as I suspect that it probably involves
acquiring a new video card or something equally painful and expensive.
Anyway, Gold wave still insists that I don't have any CD drives at all, and
thinking it might help in some way, I downloaded premeare CD creater, and
it just says there's an unknown error and ejects the CD. I'm thinking about
trying freerip next, but if I recall from the one time I tried it a few
years back, it was incredibly slow.
Do you think that downloading cdex might help, or is there a chance that
ripping books to a low-quality format suitable for audio books might be an
option in a future release of the bookport software?
Thanks for reading, and I hope that everyone is having a great day.
Missy