[bookport] Re: dictionary

  • From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:43:22 -0500

Okay, thanks...guess I did misunderstand what you were saying. You might
actually be better off with a dictionary broken down into 26 individual
files. Then, when searching on a word, you would be far less likely to
encounter the word you want being used within the definition of another
word. However, I don't know of any decent dictionary that would be likely to
be free of scanning errors and, as you said, you don't want those creeping
in. I do have a very old American Heritage dictionary that I bought from
Recording for the Blind (back when it still _was_ RFB) that was produced
from the compositor's tapes, not scanned, but even that has a fair number of
problems. When a definition is correctly formatted, it's great to search
with a word processor or text editor because every definition is supposed to
look something like this:

<REF> Dalai Lama n. The traditional governmental ruler and highest

priest of the Lamaist religion in Tibet andMongolia. Tibetan :

Mongolian dalai, ocean betan bla ma, monk.

This makes it easy to search for "<REF> [your_word]" and get a hit. However,
a fair amount of the time (maybe as high as 10%, but I'm not sure), the
start of a new word's definition doesn't begin with that "<REF>" and
actually begins at the end of the prior definition. However, with that
disability, it's still the best searchable dictionary I've found.