[bookport] Re: bookport Digest V1 #162

  • From: "ptorpey" <ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:06:26 -0400

Larry,

I don't understand what you are saying here when use say "unique name".
If I download a DAISY-formatted book from Bookshare, for example,
entitled "Name of Book", the OPF file name is also "Name of Book".
After I transfer it using the BP transfer program, the book shows up as
"bookshare001404..." using the BP firmware.  What is the "unique name" -
not the book title or OPF file name?

Also, when you say I can clean this up with the BP Transfer program, are
you saying to change the file names which appear in the files list?

Another user on this DL indicated that this problem does not occur if
one downloads the html version of books from Bookshare rather than the
DAISY formatted books.  Which do you recommend?  Does the Bookshare
material really abide by the DAISY formatting co conventions so that the
BP's navigation commands can be used?  Which is the preferred format to
download from the viewpoint of the BP (or does it make a difference)?

Thanks.

-- Pete

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:30:52 -0400
From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Bookport and Bookshare Files

The books show up with their unique names on the card. =20

The best way to clean up these kinds of files is with the BP itself.

>>> ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Friday, September 24, 2004 4:15:59 PM >>>
When I download DAISY formatted books from Bookshare onto Bookport (even
with the latest firmware), the files show up on the Bookport Transfer
programs list of files on the BP with names which do not reflect the
titles of the books which have been downloaded.  Typically, the books
will show up with names in the BP transfer software with names such as
"Bookshare001004..", etc.  Maybe the title of the book is far to the
right in the file name, but it is truncated in the display if it is.  I
would like to see the books show up with their titles as they appear in
the original OPF file. Can this behavior be modified?  Its difficult to
clean up and erase books from the BP with BP Transfer if the book titles
aren't reflected properly in the files list.

Thanks.

-- Pete
pr

------------------------------

From: "Michael Massey" <micmey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] WEb Braille magazines
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:32:03 -0600

Hi.   I have noticed that none of the information that is included in
the
last volume of the web raille magazines is included such as the
copyright
date, braille production house, etc.   To whom do we write to let the
people
who compile the web braille magazine files that in this user's opinion
that
information is important.

Michael Massey

------------------------------

From: "john kolwick" <john2109@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] mp3 error
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:48:50 -0400

Hello group,
   I recently transferred a number of music mp3 files onto a flash card
and wanted to play them in my bookport.  When I attempted to play the
files, the bookport said mp3 error.
   I transferred the files from my PC to a flashcard drive, would that
make a difference?  Thanks for any assistance.

------------------------------

From: "Sharon" <afinchum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:39:08 -0400

When you open the daisy files from Bookshare with the Bookshare unpack
tool,
you will receive several files, all of which, will have the title of the

book as well as the extension. If you select the HTML file and send it
the BookPort with the applications menu, it will arrive with the title
in
tact.

Make it a grate one

Sharon

------------------------------

From: "Sharon" <afinchum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: mp3 error
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:42:30 -0400

All file types need to go through the BookPort transfer software in
order
for them to be properly recognized by the BookPort.

Make it a grate one

Sharon

------------------------------

From: "Donna Slater" <donna.slater@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:13:09 +0100

Hi

This is strange.  Basically, the bookport transfer program marks phrases
etc in mp3 audio files, but as far as I know it does not filter music
mp3 files in any way.  Indeed, I have done exactly the same as you.  I
have transferred mp3 files via a card reader as opposed to the bookport
transfer. Ok, I lose out on any filtering, but for music this does not
matter, and I've never had this error.

Just as a matter of interest, and to help others in the group, you might
try transferring the same files with bookport transfer.  If you need
help to do this, just write to the list and one or other of us will
always be prepared to assist.

Good luck and enjoy the bookport

Donna Slater.

>    I recently transferred a number of music mp3 files onto a flash
> card
and wanted to play them in my bookport.  When I attempted to play the
files, the bookport said mp3 error.
>    I transferred the files from my PC to a flashcard drive, would that
make a difference?  Thanks for any assistance.

End of bookport Digest V1 #162