[bookport] The drive letter assignment (APH please read)

  • From: <petrakigianos-giasou@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:50:48 -0800 (PST)

My setup here is: Windows XP Home, JAWS 5.10. I also have been
using an mp3 player/recorder with 20 gb of storage called the
RipDrive which is made by a company called PoGo Products for
over a year.

The RipDrive mp3 device when connected to computer using the usb
cables shows up on my g:\ drive. When I remove the RipDrive
device from the USB cables the unit no longer is using the g:\
drive.

The RipDrive does not use any software.

On Friday I installed my Book Port device successfully. The Book
Port also uses the g:\ drive letter when it is connected to my
computer.

My questions are:

Could there be a drive letter conflict since both devices
(RipDrive & Book Port) use drive letter g:\ when each of these
devices is separetly connected to my computer. I never have both
devices connected to my computer at the same time.

Should I reassign the drive letter for my RipDrive and leave my
Book Port on my g:\ drive letter as it is?

Finally, APH has the following instructions for reassigning
drive letter for the Book Port:

How Do you Reassign Drive Letters Under XP?

One of the things that can happen when you connect your Book
Port is that its drive letter can conflict with an existing
drive letter. Here is how to change
Book Port's drive letter assignment under XP.
1. Open the Control Panel.
2. Select Administrative Tools.
3. Select Computer Management.
4. Select Storage in the list view on the right.
5. Select Disk Management (local.)
6. Right-click the removable drive currently used by the Book
Port. (Note that the applications key does not work in this
instance.)
7. Select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
8. Tab to the Change button and press Enter.
9. Select the "Assign the following drive letter" radio button.
10. Select the unused drive letter you prefer in the box.
11. Select OK.

My question:

Does the Book Port device have to be physically connected to my
computer in order to do the above 11 steps for the drive letter
assignment change? There is no mention that the Book Port device
has to be connected to my computer.

Step 6: Says applications key on keyboard will not work. Will
doing a route pc to jaws cursor keystrokes and then pressing the
key on the numeric keypad for a right mouse click do it? As I
cannot use the mouse's right click. Or is this will require
sighted assistance to do the right mouse click?

Last question: Should I move the drive letter for my RipDrive
anyway to avoid future conflicts?

Thank you very much.