[bookport] The difference between indexed and unindexed MP3 files

  • From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 13:53:14 +1300

Hi list:

This question was asked. Here is the answer taken from the book port manual, Appendix B, Frequently asked questions.

What is the Difference Between Indexed and Unindexed MP3 Files

When you use Book Port Transfer to send an audio file to Book Port, the software looks through the file and assigns index markers to help with navigation once that file is on the Book Port. If you have the Send Audio Files as Music checkbox checked in the General tab of the Options dialog, the software assigns index markers at the 2 second, 10 second, 30 second, and 60 second places. This means the Next Sentence key moves to the next 2 second index, the Next Paragraph command moves to the next 10 second marker, the Next Page command moves to the next 30 second marker, and the Next Sub-section command moves
to the next 60 second marker.

If you do not have the Send Audio as Music box checked, the software looks through the file and assigns the markers based on the length of the pause between
phrases in the narration.

If you just copy an mp3 file to the device without using the Book Port Transfer software, there are no index markers assigned. This is called an unindexed mp3 file. Such files move ahead or backward by time when the navigation commands are used. The movement values are two seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds,
and 60 seconds with the same commands that you use with indexed audio files.

This ends the exerpt from the manual. I believe having the file indexed and checking the send audio as music check box provides more flexibility in navigation because I don't have to adjust the audio seek time setting in the book port's settings keypad to achieve the navigation I want, but your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Dave