[bookport] Strange and worrying problem

  • From: Grant Hardy <grant_r_hardy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 20:33:27 -0500 (EST)

I had just under 50% in a set of batteries in my
Bookport.  When updating to the latest beta I forgot
to replace them, so the unit announced: "Battery low.
Update abort."
So, I replaced the batteries to a brand-new set and it
seemed to automatically carry out the rest of the
update, then returned me to idle mode.  Now here's the
weird part: whenever I put back in those batteries and
press d+f, it announces "Battery level: 50%", so it
seems to me that these batteries should be in good,
working condition.  However, whenever the unit wakes
up with these batteries in place it says: "Battery
low, update abort" again, as if it hadn't completed
the update process yet.  And as I move through, it
keeps repeating "Announcements missing".  When I put
back in the brand-new batteries it says "Bookport
ready" and acts as normal.  But when I place the 50%
ones back in, it's the same thing: "Battery low,
update abort"..."Announcements missing."

This is very worrying.  Any help is appreciated.

P.s. My old batteries could play audio files and read
books, but any other prompt that it would usually say
itself is given with "Announcements missing".