[bookport] Overdrive, speakers, thanks, and another question

  • From: "Deborah Kendrick" <dkkendrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:19:51 -0500

Hi,
First, thanks to everyone who answered my question about Overdrive (even if
the answer didn't delight!)  Now, if someone could tell me off list
how/where to find and use Total Recorder and/or Muvrecorder to try
converting wma to MP3, I'd really appreciate it.

I wanted to weigh in on the speakers discussion.  Overstock.com had (and
probably still has) a set that were offered for $18.95 (regular list price
was something like $60 or $70.)  I wanted to try some, so $19 seemed an
affordable gamble.  I LOVE these speakers!  I'm ashamed to say I can't
remember what brand they are, but if you go to Overstock.com and put
portable speakers in the search box, you'll probably find them.  There will
be others, but these are probably the only ones at that price.  You don't
want the iPod one that is there.  At any rate, when hinged closed, these are
about the size of, say, and orange.  The unit has its own little cord with
mini plug that tucks neatly into a groove around the bottom.  The remain
connected when you flip them open -- so you can't get surround sound or
anything -- but I've used them many times in hotel rooms -- and a few times
in my kitchen as well -- and I think the quality is pretty amazing!
Hope this helps someone -- and hope someone can tell me how to go about
recording wma files as mp3.

Oh, and that memo feature in the Book Port?  One day I wanted to hear some
senate hearing on Cspan, but I had to leave my ofice five minutes after they
began.  Desperate to come up with a quick solution, I laid the Book Port on
the desk -- about a foot from the computer speakers -- and pressed the memo
function.  The streamed program was all there -- plus another hour or two of
subsequent programming -- when I came back.  I thought the sound quality was
great.  Other times when I've tried to record something on the spot, it
hasn't worked so well.  Ambiant sounds have a lot to do with the results, I
think -- and keeping hands and everything else away from the microphone.
And I agree that a verbal confirmation of when the unit is recording,
paused, or stopped would be fabulous!

Deborah