[bookport] Re: Note Taker, caps lock key

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:34:26 -0500

That is a good idea, and it is something we can certainly do.
Unfortunately, it won't make it into the next release.  We can do it
soon after that though.

We're glad you are enjoying the device.

>>> m.d.justice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Friday, March 25, 2005 11:26:20 AM >>>
Hi All,

SUGGESTION: I would like to see a "caps lock" function to allow input
of
Note Taker text in all caps without the need to continually use the dot
7
key in
combination with each individual letter.  perhaps a "one beep" function
in
Braille mode, on the dot 7 key, could alternately turn caps lock on and
off
with a spoken announcement such as "caps on", "caps off."

      I have been using my Book port since 3Mar2005, and I find it to
be the
most useful reading and reference tool that I could imagine.  I have
used a
Sharp talking clock/calculator/calendar unit since about 1980, and I
have
even had dreams years ago, wherein that device spoke volumes of stored
reference information at the touch of a button.  Alas, but when I awoke
it
reverted to
doing only what had been a good design for the intended functions (and
still use the Sharp).  The Book Port has become the answer to this
dream of
extended functions, and with additional features I never "dreamed of!"

Accolades to all of the development team who have worked on the Book
Port
project.

I retired in Jan2004 from Municipal government service after working 39

years, and now I am part of the "support services" for my wife as she
home-schools-for-hire two special needs students for all of their
subjects.
Many times in the evening she would be in the living room watching TV
and
working on "3R's" lesson plans with her laptop computer, while I was in
my
bedroom office using JAWS on my WindowsXP desktop for home records,
reading,
and research.  I now have the entire Bible in separate book files, the

American Heritage dictionary, and many Bible studies from my
MPNHome.net web
site on the Book Port so I can join my wife in the living room with my

portable device for part of my work.  So far, these items have used
only
about 5% of my Edge 512MB compactflash card, and I plan to add many
other
files.  I still have the 128MB compact flash card that came with my
Book
port, for additional storage space.  The memo recording feature is a
welcome
part of the package, but the Note Taker is even better!  My Braille
typing
skills are not very good, but with an electronic application for a
Braille
keyboard input, I will "bone up."  Being able to reference multiple
files,
and then take text notes on the same
small portable device, is an exciting tool to have and use.

Mike Justice
m.d.justice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.mpnhome.net