[bookport] Re: Battery Charging Once Again

  • From: "Aman Singer" <aman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:30:40 -0500

Hi, Walt.
        A USB connection provides up to 500 MA to any device connected that
wants it (5 volts), and, as Ipod/Archos FM users can tell you, charging via
USB is quite possible. However, I've never seen a USB charged device that
has a non-proprietary battery. I have, however, seen NIMH chargers that run
off USB.
        It would definitely require some changes in the circuitry of the BP.
I'd hope there would be no shift from the current batteries (retain the
ability to use batteries from the local convenience store, if needed), and
that the charging could be disabled in some way for notebook users, as
charging from USB does drain batteries on a laptop.
        Aman