[bookport] Re: Appendix C - Braille Input

  • From: "Joni Colver" <july77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 07:30:42 -0600

Hi Francis,

The purpose for the Braille input is to key in  something you wish to locate
within the text of a specific file you have on the Book Port.  It does not
need to be connected to the computer to do this.

With the flash card facing you the Book Port has three rows of six keys
each.  The row furthest from you represents the Braille dots.  This is
arranged just like a Perkins Brailler, from left to right dots 3, 2 1, 4, 5,
6.

The second or middle row from left to right is: escape, left, up, down,
right, enter.

The third row, which is closest to you, from left to right is: dot 7,
backspace, spacebar, spacebar, delete, dot 8.

Dots 7 and 8 are used in computer Braille.  I am not totally proficient in
computer Braille but the various options are listed in the manual so you can
refer to that.

The spacebar to use for the find command is the one on the bottom row, third
key from the left.  If you press that and the Braille dots for f you will
hear that you are in Braille mode.  You can then key in whatever you wish to
locate.  Hit enter, second row last key on the right, to exit Braille mode.
You will hear that you have exited and hear the text you marked.  Then turn
the Book Port to the proper orientation and use the 8+9 keys to find the
next occurrence of your marked text or the 7+8 keys to find the previous
occurrence of your text.  You must, of course, be in the specific document
in which you want to find the text while employing the find next or find
previous keystrokes.

If you just want to explore the Braille mode you can hit escape, first key
on the second row, to exit.  You might find it useful to make yourself a
Braille template to refer to for the location of the keys in Braille mode.
I find this helpful at any rate.

Joni