[bookport] Amplifier

  • From: "David Bennett" <david382@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 16:19:40 -0600

I had the oddest experience recently and wanted to write about it. For some time I'd been shopping around for a small, possibly battery-powered practice amplifier with digital effects. I'd read a lot about Roland's new cube amplifiers and heard several impressive demonstrations. Finally I decided to take a chance on buying the smallest member of the family, the micro cube, primarily because it has a 1/8" stereo jack for connecting CD or MP3 players, and I reasoned that perhaps I might thus acquire a decent multipurpose unit whose usefulness could extend to Book Port.

This proved to be the case, and, in fact, I can't adequately describe how versatile this tiny, seven-pound amplifier actually is. I expected short, short battery life on six AA batteries, but in fact the batteries last about as long as Book Port's. Musicians will be interested in knowing that this amp boasts seven COSM models of popular guitar sounds, plus digital chorus, phaser, tremolo, and reverb. However, I use it more as a terrific amplification system for Book Port, which means most of the bells and whistles are underutilized.

At any rate, I wanted to describe a nonstandard way of amplifying my Book Port for those who could profit from owning a neat little practice amp which doubles as a great adjunct to Book Port. Musician's Friend carries all the Roland cube amps at wonderful discount prices. The Micro Cube costs $129.95--well below list. With its metal speaker grill and rugged construction, it's one of the most durable gadgets I've ever purchased at any price.

David Bennett