[bookport] Re: Amazing voice!

  • From: Bruce Toews <DogRiver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 08:29:11 -0600 (CST)

I remember the first time I heard the manual, I was on the fence as to the humanity or the cyberitude of the voice. I decided that the ability to get context-based pronunciation correct was a good indication that she was human. I'm not a fan of compressed human speech: If I want to heara synthesizer-like voice I'll listen to a synthesizer. <GRIN> But that's me.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Barrett, Don wrote:

The mystery is solved.  I spoke to Pamela at APH and it is definitely Carrie
reading the manual.  The reason it has synthesizer-like qualities to it is that
it was processed to cut down the reading time, which introduced some
machine-like qualities to the file.  So, Howard, you get the prize for getting
it right.

Don Barrett

-----Original Message----- From: bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of David Bennett Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 1:03 AM To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bookport] Re: Amazing voice!

Just went to that website to see if it's the audio file from late 2004, which it is. I believe most sincerely that if a synth with such suber quality was available in September of 2004, we'd know about it by now. Some of AT&T's newer natural voices use elements of true human speech, but their inflection is still unfocused in places, even in cases where pronunciation is perfect. Obviously, someone who knows the truth about this file will have to provide the final word as to its source, but I feel quite sure that such a good synth would have been discovered by the blind community between 2004 and now.