[bookport] About CF cards

  • From: "David Bennett" <david382@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:58:34 -0500

A few days ago someone on the list mentioned that not all CompactFlash cards are created equal, and I can attest to this. Though most of my experience has been with Freedom Scientific's Pac Mate and Springer Design's Book Courier, I quickly learned that the less expensive CF cards on the market aren't always bargains. As a matter of fact, the only manufacturer whose cards have given me no problem whatsoever is Sandisk. I can live with most of the other brands, certainly when working with text-based files which are small and rarely give problems, but large transfers from Audible.com really require a card whose quality can be counted on. All cards are becoming less expensive with the passage of time, but Sandisk products invariably cost just a tad more than the competition. In my experience, though, they work better in our particular adaptive devices for whatever reason.

Maybe the following should be addressed in a separate email, but I'd like to see Book Port acquire a pronunciation dictionary. Entries would probably be made through the Braille keypad. That might be a huge enhancement to undertake, and I don't know if there may even be legal reasons why R.C. Systems might not allow their speech synthesizer to be tampered with, but it's an idea. The original Road Runner had an option in its transfer software for downloading a dictionary, but no mention of this appeared in the User's Guide and the concept never got any further than this. Legal considerations? I do wonder. Would anyone else like to see a user-definable pronunciation dictionary become available for Book Port?

David Bennett