Re: [book_talk] book review--Samuel Clemens

  • From: Audrey <waterdiva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "book_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <book_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 17:46:38 -0500

I think I remember actually seeing that movie.  I was drawn in to go see it
because of how overwhelmingly adorable he had been as a baby actor I had come
across in a couple of other things.

I had been floored by what he had done non verbally in what seemed like an
ultra long soap opera scene for a child.  The subtlety and nuance were jaw
dropping.  The acting from the finest of the adult soap actors paled in
comparison, and some of those are very fine accomplished actors.  We're talking
the caliber of Kim Zimmer here.  I didn't always care for the Reva character
she played but the woman playing her could act!  Same with Colleen Dewhurst.
The acting doesn't stop in the spaces between the lines.  I wanted to become
that skilled of an actress, and to possibly bring it to something like musical
opera. The supporting role, the ensemble cast, were always what grabbed me.
So, I was thinking it would be pretty interesting watching Elijah and McCauly
act off each other.  I think I was disappointed though, because it seems like
the script did not really have them in scenes where they were interactively
shot together, leading up to what would have been the climax.  I guess I was
craving something more like a live stage production, captured on film.  I think
I may only have gotten to see him in one other thing after that.  Was there
something called Radio Flyer? I don't know if that one was it or not.  That was
one that was a little PTSD triggering for me, kind of in the way Affliction
was.
I have to say that being blind has helped me inadvertently, by forcing me to
walk a lot, getting a certain dosage of sunlight, even though I have to be
careful of the sun.  Looking back I can really see how this has made a big
difference and helped control otherwise uncontrolled clinical depression.  So
glad some of those triggers don't have quite the intense amount of hold they
used to.

Who'd have thought Elijah Wood would bring up all that.  Smiles.  What I get
for posting sleepy. I read the Tom Sawyer books around age 7 or 8.  We went
through the Mark Twain house sometime around then, and that's what I came away
with, probably with licorice.
Audrey

Sent from my iPhone