[book_talk] The Firm, Grisham

  • From: "Rosemarie Grayley" <rgrayley1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <book_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 14:44:56 -0800

The Firm,
By John Grisham.

BARD and bookshare.

Mitch McDeere, fifth in his law class at Harvard, is an excellent catch for
any law firm. Several New York firms want him as does one in Tennessee. The
firm in Memphis is offering more money and an astonishing number of
wonderful perks. He accepts and he and his wife, Abby, settle into their
newly decorated home, and Mitch settles into his sixteen plus hour days.

Abby's parents are impressed with the home and perks, though they still
don't like their son in law. They live in Kentucky, one reason why Tennessee
appealed more to Abby than New York, and another reason is that Mitch's
brother, Ray, has seven more years of a fifteen year sentence in a Tennessee
jail.

Mitch starts noticing and hearing things that don't add up. For one thing,
how many law firms have no one quit, but several lawyers who meet with
deadly accidents? Then, the FBI contacts Mitch. They are investigating the
firm and start applying pressure on him to get inside information. It's a
deadly game and either side could easily get Mitch and his wife killed.

It's a very interesting tale and I found the ending fascinating.

David Hartley-Margolin read Sycamore Row, a book that came out in the past
six months or so. This book was also read by him in 1991 or thereabouts. His
voice is still very good, he'll always be a favorite of mine, but listening
to the books practically back to back shows the passage of time. I so hope
it doesn't get to the point where I don't enjoy his reading any longer. The
coming of the digital age has made it so easy to have new books and old
books that the changes in the voices of the readers can be startling,
sometimes even shocking.

Good reading,

Rosemarie