[book_talk] Skipping Christmas, Grisham

  • From: "Rosemarie Grayley" <rgrayley1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <book_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 15:10:54 -0800

Skipping Christmas,
By John Grisham.

Bookshare and BARD.

After accountant Luther Krank does some number crunching and finds that last
year's Christmas cost $6,000, he and his wife Nora decide to skip it this
time round and take a ten day cruise and get some sun. After all, their
daughter has joined the peace corps for a year, so won't be home. The can
opt out of the tree, the presents that only end up on a shelf anyway, the
parties, the fruitcake, the crowds in the mall. The cruise that begins on
Christmas day would also cost a lot less than $6,000.

The neighbors are shocked. Some try persuasion while some are rather mean.
Then all hell breaks loose.

While the book is supposedly hilarious, I didn't find it all that funny. It
was amusing though and I was curious how it would all work out.

Good reading,

Rosemarie