[boo] SCR 18

  • From: Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "boo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <boo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 09:23:25 -0700

I see no point in writing to all the representatives. I wrote to my own. To find your representative, go here: https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/FindYourLegislator/leg-districts.html

 Here is my letter. ...Linda Fink

--Dear Rep. Gomberg,

Please vote no on SCR 18, the bill to change the state bird of Oregon. If the state bird is to be changed, it should be done as it was originally selected, by the schoolchildren of Oregon. This is not something that should be done from the top down. As a lifelong birder (I'm 71 years old), I have nothing against Osprey, but the Meadowlark was chosen by schoolchildren. It would be great if they were consulted about the reasons for considering a change. Those reasons, as I understand it, are because meadowlarks have seriously declined in Oregon and because other states also have meadowlarks as their state bird. It would be wonderful if school children learned *why* meadowlarks have declined and perhaps the loss of grasslands that they need to nest in could be addressed. And who cares if other states have meadowlarks? If you want a truly Oregon bird, osprey is not it. Let the school children research and vote. Get the legislature out of it, please. Vote no on SCR 18!

Thank you for your consideration,

Linda Fink
23000 SW Grand Ronde Rd.
Grand Ronde, OR 97347-9601