Re: 8 steps to success? Rev 1

  • From: Cameron Scott <camscott2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bohmation@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:25:39 +0200

You should rename the list "5 steps of Reality" (the fact that there is in
fact 8 steps reflects the clients' belief that what we do is piss-easy and
only takes a couple of days to copy anything from the latest released
animated feature film)
Having said that, I'd like to add another couple of steps:

1. acting discussions - video, references

2. blocking 2d
( loop 1-2 6 times with client )

3. blocking 3d
( loop above 6 times with client )

4. blocking 3d 3rd pass - in betweens
( loop above 6 times with client )

5. linear
( redo step 3-4, 3 times )

6(a). spline
    7(b)optional: motion blur animation (0.5 frames)
( redo steps 1-6 again )

7. send off to render monkey

8. redo step 1, and then try desperately to incorporate the client's inane
changes to an animation spline keyed on twos because you don't have time to
redo the entire job.

9. Walk away after the delivery, puzzling over the client jubilant reaction
to wish-washy animation, all the while consoling yourself that the
*next*job will good enough for your showreel.