[blindza] Windows8 narrator, preview version etc.

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NAPSA Blind" <blind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 16:10:06 +0200

Not too much to say as of yet, but, this past weekend, got around to installing
the preview version of windows8, over my one spare windowsXP machine
installation, and will just say that aside from, for example, there now being a
windows keyboard shortcut to directly launch MS narrator - windows key + enter
- narrator itself is way more useful/usable than prior versions, and has
actually got quite a nice/decent voice - currently left it on what they call
microsoft david.

Other issues with windows8 are that while NVDA 2012.2 seems to work alright,
jaws 13.0.924 just seems to keep on initiating compatibility issues, keeps on
telling me I need to restart machine to run it, etc., but anyway.

Aside from that, yes, whole windows interface does seem quite different to even
windows7, but haven't tried out too much on that machine as of yet, since this
whole process does seem to have also coincided with a hardware issue on that
machine - honestly don't think it was caused by this migration, but there was
no sound at all until I thought of trying plugging in my external, USB astrum
sound card adapter, and then it seems alright, but still need to try find out
what the actual hardware issue with the acer laptop's built in realtek sound
card adapter might be, but, this is my spare machine, and isn't honestly used
too often, or maintained etc. all that much.

Lastly, just wanted to really try out windows8 to see how usable it seemed,
but, will most likely be moving/taking that machine over to ubuntu linux 12.0
hereafter, since that includes free use of orca screen reader, and do still
want to focus a bit more on cross platform development etc., using languages
like python, etc., but, let's see how long this windows8 preview wants to stay
around - for now anyway...<smile>