[blindza] Strange thoughts relating to a form of blindie ball game

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NAPSA Blind" <blind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 20:50:17 +0200

Just thinking - and no idea why it came up in my mind, except that, for what
it's worth, in old sighted days at school, I used to play field hockey, which
uses a smallish hard ball similar to a traditional cricket ball - that aside
from not really thinking it would be the best idea to let blindies run around
on a playing field, with hard/dangerous sticks in their hands, if you had a
largeish playing field, but with a really smooth/clean/possibly hardish
surface, and you used something similar to a normal blindie cricket ball, with
a bell inside it, and the whole surface was a sort of shallow, but concave
surface, with the lowest point being sort of at the centre of the playing area,
then, even if everyone lost the ball, or wasn't sure of it's location, then
everyone could just keep quiet, and you might be able to hear it rolling
towards the centre of the playing field/playing area...?

And, yes, do realise you could just as easily implement a form of beeper inside
the ball, but, on the other hand, if, for example, it was being pushed/whacked
around using something like a hockey stick, then it's rather unlikely that any
form of electronics inside would last too long...<smile>

And, yes, part of the idea of this would be to then avoid needing to make use
of any sighted sideline companions to keep letting you know about the location
of the ball, like I think they do for things like blindie soccer, etc...?

However, you would definitely need to do something to still let guys navigate
the playing area/field as such, but, suppose that could be implemented using
sort of target audio tones on the four corners of the field, with
distinct/different sounds, as well as something like each goal area, and the
sides of the halfway line also having their own, different sounds, or something.