[blindza] Fw: Workshop explores "Secret Code" of the blind

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:47:27 +0200

This sort of thing (educating the sighted people) would actually be a nice thing.

Similar to the cancer shave-athon thing we do this side, they mos do a thing in Malaysia where when you give your donation money, you get an eyepatch to wear so you can 'see' what it's like to at least be partially sighted etc.

Anyway, see the actual message below.

----- Original Message ----- Northwest Arkansas Times, AR, USA
Sunday, September 09, 2007

Workshop explores "Secret Code" of the blind

By KATE WARD

Though Matthew Daniels is legally blind, he isn't disabled.

" We can do most of the same things that normal people do, " he said. " There are blind people who've climbed mountains and gone sky diving. There are
also people who've traveled the world. "

On Saturday, Daniels, along with fellow members of the National Federation for the Blind, discussed some of the issues associated with the blind during
a children's workshop titled, " The Secret Code. "

" We just want parents and children to know what it's like to be blind, because we are out there, " he said. " In fact, there are (more than ) 50, 000
blind people living around the world. "

Hosted at the Blair Library, the workshop demonstrated some of the skills used by the blind, such as reading and writing brail.

" We're trying to get rid of some of the stereotypes, " Daniels said. " One of the main stereotypes people associate with the blind is that we count steps.
Those of us who are trained don't do that. We use a cane. "

Kathleen Cox sat with her 4-year-old nephew, Carlton, as he listened to an entire story read in brail.

" I just find all of this so fascinating, " Cox said. " I brought my nephew here because I wanted to expand his horizons. But I think this is something
that even older people can enjoy. "

Daniels said the Northwest Chapter of the National Federation for the Blind meets during the third Saturday of each month at Western Sizzlin' in Springdale.

" We invite everyone to come to our meetings, " he said. " They're welcome to join us or ask questions.

For more information, visit the Web site at
www.nfb.org.

http://www.nwanews.com/nwat/news/56981/
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe:
BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with "subscribe" as subject

Unsubscribe:
BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with "unsubscribe" as subject

Moderator:
BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive:
http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS:
http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.

---
The 'homepage' for this list is at http://www.blindza.co.za