[blindza] Fw: “Seeing” and reading with the ears, hands and bionic eyes: from basic research to visual rehabilitation

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 07:03:35 +0200

I like the use of the term, 'sensory augmentation' from the youTube video clip.

----- Original Message ----- Hi All,

For your information. Appended is the abstract of an upcoming presentation
by Amir Amedi on Wednesday May 15, 2013, at EPFL School of Engineering in
Lausanne, Switzerland.

Best wishes,

Peter Meijer

Seeing with Sound - The vOICe
http://www.seeingwithsound.com/winvoice.htm

“Seeing” and reading with the ears, hands and bionic eyes:
from basic research to visual rehabilitation.

Abstract.

My research focuses on blindness, which is both a limiting condition affecting
many millions worldwide, and constitutes a unique model for answering
fundamental questions in cognitive neuroscience. My lab's work ranges from basic
science, querying brain plasticity and sensory integration, to technological
developments, allowing the blind to be more independent and even “see” using
sounds and touch similar to bats and dolphins (a.k.a. Sensory Substitution
Devices, SSDs), and back to applying these devices in research. The central
hypothesis of the work is that visual areas can process sound and touch to a
similar extent as they process vision, but only when subjects learn to fully
extract the relevant information encoded by these alternative senses. I propose that, with proper training, many (if not all) visual brain areas or network can
change the type of sensory input it uses to retrieve behaviorally
(task)-relevant information within a matter of weeks/months. I also suggest that visual-like selectivity might develop without any visual experience. If this is true, it can have far reaching implications also for clinical rehabilitation,
the second major aim of my lab. To achieve this, we are currently developing
several innovative SSDs which try to encode the most crucial aspects of vision
and increase their accessibility the blind, along with targeted, structured
training protocols both in virtual environments and in real life scenarios using
these novel SSDs (or veteran SSDs like The vOICe). For the results of such
training and summary of the concept see this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVBp2nDmg7E

Finally, SSDs can also be used in conjunction with (any) invasive approach for visual rehabilitation. We are developing a novel hybrid Visual Rehabilitation Device (VRD) which combines SSD and visual prostheses that at present lack in terms of resolution and in rehabilitative power. In this VRD, the SSDs are used
in training the brain to “see” prior to surgery, in providing explanatory
signals after surgery and in augmenting the capabilities using information
arriving from the same image (e.g. adding color, depth and, increased resolution).

Source URL:
http://sti.epfl.ch/page-1545-en.html

---
The 'homepage' for this list is at http://www.blindza.co.za